Israelis mark two-year anniversary of 7 October attacks as Palestinian ceasefire negotiations proceed

Memorial site photograph
Many mourned at the grounds of the music festival, where in excess of 370 people perished and numerous more taken to Gaza as captives

Israelis have assembled across the country to commemorate the second anniversary since the Hamas-initiated assault on October 7th, 2023, as discussions proceeded in Egypt over a conclusion to the conflict in Gaza.

The assault led to more than 1,200 people losing their lives and 251 others captured back to Gaza as hostages. It was the uniquely most lethal day for the Jewish community since the World War II.

Israel responded by initiating a armed campaign in Gaza which has taken more than 67,000 people, according to the area's Hamas-controlled health ministry. Its statistics are considered trustworthy by the United Nations and other world agencies.

"Our bloodthirsty opponents have hit us hard, but they have not broken us," the prime minister remarked on that day.

He also vowed to "accomplish all the goals of the war: the release of all the kidnapped, the destruction of the Hamas regime and the promise that Gaza will no longer create a threat to Israel".

Commemorative Events Across Israel

The national leadership delayed official memorials until 16 October - after the conclusion of the religious holiday season - but gatherings still took place across the country on Tuesday.

A commemorative event for the loved ones of Israelis who lost their lives in the Hamas attack was conducted in Tel Aviv. Arranged by the affected families, it was aired on Israeli television channels.

A period earlier, a minute's silence was held around the country.

Peace Discussions in Egypt

Meanwhile, both sides' representatives met in the Egyptian Red Sea resort of the negotiation venue for a second day of indirect talks to discuss the provisions of the agreement.

A senior representative knowledgeable about the negotiations indicated that an evening round of indirect talks began at 19:00 Cairo time.

The representative stated the morning session concluded without concrete outcomes, due to differences over the recommended Israeli retreat arrangements from Gaza and over guarantees Hamas wants to ensure Israel does not restart hostilities after the opening period of the agreement.

He added that the discussions are "tough and have still not produce any major advancement," but pointed out that facilitators are working hard to reduce the gaps between the two sides.

Critical Points in Negotiations

  • An enduring halt to fighting
  • The swap of the prisoners still kept by Hamas for inmates from Gaza
  • The withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza
  • Measures for relief supplies distribution
  • Post-war administration of the region

Public Reaction

In Tel Aviv's memorial area previously, 29-year-old Hagar - whose brother survived the assault on the outdoor event, where hundreds were lost their lives and numerous more were taken hostage by Hamas militants - told: "No place seems like home now and until all the hostages come back no one will feel safe."

"After we see all home once more, we can breathe again. Then we can begin to recover," she continued.

In front of the prime minister's residence in Jerusalem, people gathered to express their backing for the relatives of the hostages. Israel says forty-eight continue in confinement in Gaza, 20 of whom are considered to be alive.

Protester a participant explained: "We must do any agreement needed for the captives to be released. But we truly desire assurances that we will be safe."

Research now frequently demonstrate that approximately the majority of Israelis prefer the hostilities to conclude in as payment for the liberation of the abducted.

Gaza Circumstances

At the location of the gathering, those paying respects came together to pay their respects.

From there, the sound of military attacks and explosions could be noticed just a few kilometres away in Gaza, where local people reported the intense Israeli attacks persisted.

In the urban center, air and artillery strikes were documented in the morning of that day in the western Tal al-Hawa, Rimal and Nasr areas and in the eastern neighbourhood of Sheikh Radwan, as well the camp to the northwestern area.

"As the night falls, the fear arrives with it," evacuated urban resident a mother, whose 17-year-old son was lost his life by an Israeli bombing earlier, described.

"My family are fearful of the air strikes. During nighttime we are resting together, holding each other, notably my smallest child who puts his face on me the entire evening."

"Constantly we look at the reports to see what happened. And I'm afraid that this halt will not be completed and that the fighting will resume to us."

Humanitarian Crisis

Al-Shifa hospital in the urban area announced it had received the bodies of several people by the daytime, including a trio who lost their lives in an Israeli bombing in the southern district.

A different healthcare center in the south region of Khan Younis said additional fatalities had been brought there. One of them was killed by Israeli soldiers while attempting to get help to the south region, medics said.

Gaza's health ministry said a significant number of the {territ

Terry Phillips
Terry Phillips

A seasoned gaming journalist and esports analyst with over a decade of experience covering major tournaments and industry trends.